Benefits Summary – Full Time Faculty
- A choice of two health plans: Empire Blue Cross PPO or EPO.
- Vassar pays 85% of the total cost of single coverage, and 70% of the cost of employee-plus-dependent(s) coverage. The contribution percentage is based on the EPO premium.
- Coverage begins on the first of the month coincident with or after your date of hire.
- Vassar contributes to your retirement plan after one year of service. The contribution is based on your age as of July 1, as follows:
- age 21 to 29 = 7%
- age 30 to 39 = 11%
- age 40+ = 12 %
- You are immediately vested in the college’s contribution.
- Upon hire, you are automatically enrolled in the Supplemental Retirement Account (SRA) at a tax-deferred 4% contribution from your paycheck.
- Your contributions, and Vassar’s once they begin, are invested 50%/50% between Fidelity Investments and TIAA, in target-date funds appropriate to your age. You may change your percentage contribution, your vendor split, and/or your investments at any time on a dedicated portal.
(Available to faculty on full time tenure track appointments or on visiting appointments of 3 years or more.)
- You, your spouse/partner or dependent children may attend up to eight semesters at Vassar College tuition-free if accepted as a Vassar student.
- You or your spouse/partner may take Vassar courses tuition-free on a course by course basis with prior approval.
- Vassar provides tuition grants for dependent children up to age 24 attending other colleges: the grants cover the college’s tuition, up to a maximum of 50% of Vassar’s tuition.
Long Term Disability Insurance
- Vassar provides disability coverage equivalent to 60% of your salary up to a monthly benefit maximum of $10,000. This insurance provides a monthly income after 6 months of total disability. Coverage begins after a year of employment, or the first day after your first full month of employment if you furnish proof of coverage from your previous employer.
- Upon hire, you may purchase additional disability insurance.
- Vassar provides term life insurance coverage equal to your annual salary, but with a minimum value of $50,000 and maximum of $200,000. (Reductions apply for employees over 70 years of age.) Coverage begins after four months of employment, or the first day after your first full month of employment if you furnish proof of coverage from your previous employer.
- Upon hire, you may purchase additional life insurance.
Flexible Spending Accounts
- You are eligible to tax-shelter up to $2,600 annually in a medical/dental Flex spending account, and up to $5,000 annually in a dependent care Flex spending account. Transit and parking flex accounts are also available for reimbursement of work-related public transportation travel.
- Vassar sponsors a voluntary (employee-paid) dental insurance plan.
Employee Asssitance Program (EAP)
- Vassar’s EAP provides you and your family access to free, confidential short-term counseling and assistance with work-life issues such as elder care and child care.
The benefits highlights contained on this website are for your general overview and reference only and show not be construed as an offical plan document or description. Full descriptions of benefits are available from the Benefits Office, 3rd floor Baldwin Hall. There are no rights to benefit accruals or availability as a result of any statement or omission on this website.