Benefits Summary – Security Officers
- Health insurance: MVP HMO or Empire Blue Cross PPO
- Vassar pays 87% of the cost for single coverage and approximately 82% of the cost of dependents coverage. This contribution will change according to the terms of the union contract.
- Vassar offers domestic partner benefits; however, these are taxable.
- After two years of service, you become eligible for Vassar’s retirement plan benefit.
- Vassar contributes an amount equivalent to 11% of regular gross earnings and may be invested with Fidelity Investmants or TIAA-CREF.
- You may also open a Supplemental Retirement Account (SRA) which allows you save for retirement and choose your own investment portfolio in a personal account with TIAA-CREF and/or Fidelity Investments. Contributions to the SRA are deducted from your paycheck and are tax-deferred.
- Fidelity Investments and TIAA-CREF are available as investment options for both accounts.
Paid Time Off
- After the six-month probationary period through the end of your first year of service, you receive five vacation days. From the second through fifth year of service, vacation increases to ten days. From your fifth through tenth year, vacation allowance is 15 days. Further increases occur with further service.
- 13 paid holidays
- Paid Sick Time: sick time accrues at four hours per 104 hours worked, and you can accumulate up to 750 hours as a reserve against extended illness.
- Once you have completed five (5) years of employment at Vassar, you, your spouse/partner or dependent children may attend up to eight semesters at Vassar college tuition-free if accepted as a Vassar student.
- You or your spouse/partner may take Vassar courses tuition-free on a course by course basis with prior approval.
Short Term Disability Insurance
- In accordance with New York State law, Vassar provides disability coverage equivalent to 50% of your salary up to a weekly maximum of $170.
- Vassar provides term life insurance of $50,000 or your annual salary, whichever is less.
Flexible Spending Accounts
- You are eligible to tax-shelter up to $10,000 annually in a medical/dental Flex spending account, and up to $5,000 annually in a dependent care Flex spending account. Transit and parking flex accounts are also available for reimbursement of work-relationed public transportation travel.
- Vassar sponsors a voluntary (employee-paid) dental insurance plan. You are eligible to join within 30 days of your hire. Contact the Benefits Office for information.
Employee Asssitance Program (EAP)
- Vassar’s EAP provides you and your family access to free, confidential short-term counseling and assistance with work-life issues such as elder care and child care.
- The EAP also provides legal counseling, financial planning, elder and child care referral.
The benefits highlights contained on this website are for your general overview and reference only and should not be construed as an official plan document or description. Full descriptions of benefits are available from the Benefits Office, 3rd floor Baldwin Hall. There are no rights to benefit accruals or availability as a result of any statement or omission on this website.