Benefits Summary – Service Employees
- Health insurance is provided through the 1199 National Benefit Fund. The 1199 plan also includes disability and dental coverage.
- Vassar covers the entire cost of this health insurance.
- After five years of service, you become vested in Vassar's defined benefit pension plan, which provides monthly payments beginning at age 65.
- You may also open a Supplemental Retirement Account (SRA) which allows you save for retirement and choose your own investment portfolio in a personal account with TIAA-CREF and/or Fidelity Investments. Contributions to the SRA are deducted from your paycheck and are tax-deferred.
Paid Time Off
- After the six-month probationary period, eligible for vacation days based on years of service, personal days, and birthday.
- 13 paid holidays
- Paid sick time for both short term illness and extended needs.
- You, your spouse/partner or dependent children may attend up to eight semesters at Vassar college tuition-free if accepted as a Vassar student.
- You or your spouse/partner may take Vassar courses tuition-free on a course by course basis with prior approval.
- Tuition reimbursement is available, subject to departmental approval, for courses you take at other accredited institutions. These courses must be directly related to your work in your current position.
Short Term Disability Insurance
- In accordance with New York State law, Vassar provides disability coverage equivalent to 50% of your salary up to a weekly maximum of $170. This insurance provides a weekly income after five days of disability.
- The 1199 National Benefit Fund plan includes term life insurance coverage of $15,000 or more, depending on salary, after your first year worked.
Flexible Spending Accounts
- You are eligible to tax-shelter up to $10,000 annually in a medical/dental Flex spending account, and up to $5,000 annually in a dependent care Flex spending account. Transit and parking flex accounts are also available for reimbursement of work-related public transportation travel.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Vassar's EAP provides you and your family access to free, confidential short-term counseling and assistance with work-life issues such as elder care, child care, legal counseling, financial planning.
The benefits highlights contained on this website are for your general overview and reference only and should not be construed as an official plan document or description. Full descriptions of benefits are available from the Benefits Office, 3rd floor Baldwin Hall. There are no rights to benefit accruals or availability as a result of any statement or omission on this website.